In this Spring 2017 edition of the Wild Oceans Horizon, we fondly remember the man who started it all. Chris Weld, a pioneer in the fisheries conservation movement and co-founder of Wild Oceans (then called the National Coalition for Marine Conservation), has left us, but his legacy lives on and continues to inspire and energize us and our work. In fact, it was Chris who wrote and produced our very first newsletter, the Right Rigger!, in 1973.
Chris, who remained on our Board of Directors until his passing, was an avid reader of our newsletter, and we continue to aspire to bring you news that would meet with Chris’ approval – stories that keep you up-to-date and informed as we fight together for the future of fishing. Here is a list of what you can find in this issue:
- Cover Story: A Sea of Plastic
- President Ken Hinman remembers Chris Weld in his regular feature: The Ocean View
- A Bill to Bolster Billfish Protections
- Two Ways to Help Scientists Study Pacific Tuna
- The People’s Choice for Menhaden
- Plus, learn about what our staff has been up to as progress is made for fish big and small.
Pam Gromen, Editor